Amid the controversy around linking Aadhaar to permanent account number (PAN), Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on Wednesday announced the launch of an official mobile application for Aadhaar.
“mAadhaar” is currently available only for Android users only. While announcing the launch, UIDAI tweeted saying “LAUNCHING #mAadhaar- Carry your Aadhaar on your Mobile. The android app from UIDAI is now available on Google Play”
mAadhaar is official mobile application which will provide an interface to Aadhaar Number Holders to carry their demographic information viz. Name, Date of Birth, Gender & Address along with photograph as linked with their Aadhaar Number in smart phones.
According to official details of the application, it has five key features:
1. Aadhaar Number Holder profile download – A convenient way to carry Aadhaar number with demographic details anytime, anywhere.
2. Biometric locking/unlocking – To secure biometric authentication by locking biometrics data. Once resident enables Biometric Locking system their biometric remains locked till the Aadhaar Holder chose to either Unlock it (which is temporary) or Disable the Locking system.
3. TOTP generation – Time-based One-Time Password is an automatically generated temporary password which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
4. Update of profile – An updated view of Aadhaar profile data after successful completion of update request.
5. Sharing of QR code and eKYC data by Aadhaar Number holder – Share QR code and password protected eKYC data to retrieve accurate demographic information from it instead of manual entry.
The launch of application has made government’s case stronger against Supreme Court. Since past two months, the government and the apex court has been arguing on making Aadhaar mandatory for filing ITR.
(This article was published by a syndicate feed from Zee News and has been published here unedited except the title. )