Race flagged off at Alicante, Spain on Oct 22, 2017
Alicante, Spain. Oct 23, 2017. (Source: HCL/PTI)
- Volvo Ocean Race is the world’s longest professional sporting event
- Sailing 45,000 nautical miles, Volvo Ocean Race stops at 12 Host Cities around the world
- HCL is the strategic IT services provider to the Volvo Ocean Race
Speaking about HCL’s collaboration with the Volvo Ocean Race, Ashish Gupta, CVP and Head EMEA, HCL Technologies, said: “HCL Technologies is elated to have partnered with the Volvo Ocean Race as its strategic IT services provider. The world has become hyper dynamic and sailing is amongst the most dynamic of sports. We see our association with the Volvo Ocean Race as another example of our Mode 1-2-3 strategy to meet customer’s business objectives and demonstrate leadership capabilities across next gen technologies. We are uniquely placed to develop lean and agile 21st century enterprise solutions.”
- Volvo Ocean Race is often described as the longest and toughest professional sporting event in the world
- It is one of the World’s biggest three sporting events, alongside the Olympics and America’s Cup
- There is no prize money for the winners, but seeing one’s name etched into one of the silver rings of the Volvo Ocean Race Trophy is a prize beyond compare
- More than 1.5Bn cumulative audience follows the race
- There have been 12 editions of the race to date, staged every four years at first, before the cycle moved to every three years from 2008-09
- For the 2017-18 edition, the race has introduced rules that give teams a major incentive to include women as well as men
For the Volvo Ocean Race, HCL has deployed lean and agile models and IPs with more than 1300 products and systems, customised for varying operational conditions at each of the 12 Host Cities to deliver a high-quality experience for the expected 3Mn visitors to the Race Villages around the world. HCL’s teams from around the world have come together and worked tirelessly to drive a world-class, experience for the millions of race followers, who will be using the latest digital technologies to get closer than ever to the action.
The Volvo Ocean Race is the longest race in the world, where over 8 months, 7 yachts race across 4 oceans to reach 12 ports in 6 different continents. During these 8 months, a 1.5BN+ cumulative audience follows the race. The 2017-18 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race comprises teams including team AkzoNobel, DongFeng Race Team, MAPFRE, Vestas 11th Hour Racing, Sun Hung Kai Scallywag, Turn The Tide on Plastic and Team Brunel. This edition of the race features three times as many Southern Ocean miles (12,000 nautical miles) than its previous edition and will end in The Hague by June’2018.
The Volvo Ocean Race partnership furthers HCL’s credentials in the sporting arena and follows the company’s global engagement with Manchester United where HCL was selected as the club’s official ‘digital partner’.
For more information, visit: https://www.hcltech.com/volvo-ocean-race